Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Process

“My friends, adoption is redemption. It’s costly, exhausting, expensive, and outrageous. Buying back lives costs so much. When God set out to redeem us, it killed Him.”– Derek Loux


I saw this quote on a blog a while back and it really hit me. We are still in the beginning stages of adoption so we are no expert! But, I can already sympathize with all of those statements. I wanted to take a second and break each down so you can get a better understanding. This will happen through several posts so follow us to keep up!

"It's costly"... is it ever! 



I get asked all the time... how much does it cost? and Why?
Well, the cost depends on a lot of factors, but we have been told somewhere around $25,000... go ahead *gasp*! Okay! Breath out...Now do you get the fundraisers???


Now, on to the "why?". Well, every step costs. I will say it feels like every piece of paper costs and there are a LOT of papers. It's dispersed in several areas along the way. I take a deep breath and concentrate on what is in front of me at this point, and I'm just praying God has what lies ahead. Doesn't that sound familiar to our day to day lives anyway? God has the future and we just have to live in the now. Wouldn't it be nice to fast forward and know how it would all work out? Yeh! But we would miss being stretched in our faith. We would miss learning to trust God with ALL the details of what He has called us to do. 


Follow me for a second. When that sweet little toddler you have asks for candy before lunch and you say "no", what happens? Typically a tantrum, right? You know the kind where feet are kicking and windows are shattering! - Hopefully that's not just my kids- ;) After the tantrum subsides and you give them the lunch it can take what seems like forever for them to finish. Anyone feeling me on this?? Will they not ask for that candy a jillion times? They are so focused on the prize right? Finally they finish (at least to an acceptable degree ;) ) and they happily take the prized candy! Even though it's hard to see at the moment, that was a lesson. Patience- because they have to wait and the tantrum doesn't help. Trust- because they have to trust that you will do what said you would do- give them the candy when they settle down and reach the goal- finishing the task. You always had their best interest at heart. You wanted to make sure they got the nutrients they needed before filling up on junk. You loved them through the tantrums and you saw to the other side- the prize. That is life and the parent is God! If we will just do what we are supposed to, He promises to get us to the goal He has called us to. 


" For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11


Does it get any clearer than that? He has the details and I have the feet... all I have to do is get going! 


When we knew God was calling us to adoption we knew it would be costly. We know our limitations but we know a God that has none. This is where I rest with this huge task ahead. Does that mean I just sit back and wait for God to come in and save the day? No! That's not the way it works-although I have to say that would be nice. ;) We are working diligently from saving wherever we can to fundraisers almost every weekend and in between. This mountain is tall and intimidating at times and trust is taking on a whole new meaning beyond funding. 


A few months ago I was sitting at my computer crying crocodile tears over these sweet children who need a mommy and daddy. I was sobbing!! If you know me... this doesn't happen often. My heart was completely shattered and I felt so helpless. I remember saying out loud. "Ok God! I am ready!" The questions about who, what, when, where and HOW faded and I knew that didn't matter. If I stopped to rationalize it, it would only slow me down. God has the details... and what sweet details are ahead. I can't wait to hold that amazing little boy and tell Him of a God who is ALIVE and CARES for Him! A God who destined Him for our family. Wow! That blows me away. I feel soo unworthy! I feel so thankful God would choose us! :) 


I know he has the funding in His hand as well. He knows Keegan needs us quickly. He has those details already worked out. We are pushing forward and knowing that He will place it on the hearts of those He calls to help! 


So...


What can you do to help?


PRAY...PRAY...PRAY!!! Praise God for where He has brought us. Thank Him for this child and pray for the others still waiting. Pray for the angels to entertain him while he waits. Pray for protection and guidance. Pray for His speed to get us there.  Pray for hearts to be open. Pray and seek Him on giving. The power of prayer is so much greater than the power of money. So pray first!!!


If you feel led to give you have 2 options: Tax deductible and Not Tax deductible. Both are located to the right of the blog. For Tax deductible click that adorable little face at the top- "Help Bring Keegan Home". The chip in box underneath our picture is NOT tax deductible. Let me explain this. The tax deductible giving will be available to us when we have a travel date but there are a LOT of expenses before we get to that point. For these current expenses we have created the chip in donation box. 


We are soo grateful for each and every prayer, kind word of encouragement and every cent given! We pray you are all blessed in your adventures with God as well. If you have any questions please leave them in comments and I will answer as best as I can. If you would like to know more about our Savior we speak about so often, I would LOVE nothing more than to share His plan of unending LOVE with you. If you have a prayer request... I would LOVE to pray for you. Just leave me a comment! 

3 comments:

  1. i would like to post for you this week. praying everything goes smoothly for you all. Our God's got this:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I LOVE the new picture of Keegan! Praying everything goes swiftly and you can bring him home soon! Just remember, in the midst of paperchasing, notaries, paperwork re-do, IT IS WORTH IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming over from a post I saw on FB:) We love RR kids and hope Keegan gets home with you soon! Chipped in for expenses now:) Good luck and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete